PHAXTEC® produces sustainable and natural material solutions with PHA (Polyhydroxyalkanoates) in Food Service Packaging, Agriculture and Personal Care.
PHAXTEC® products are the perfect replacement for plastics and a great complement to paper.
PHA (Polyhydroxyalkanoates) are a class of natural materials harvested from living organisms using fermentation, a natural process using renewable carbon.
At end of life they biodegrade in soil, fresh water and marine environment like cellulose! They are also chemically and mechanically recyclable.
The PHAXTEC® business model: Working with technology partners and market participants (OEMs), PHAXTEC® is reducing market and technology risks while accelerating market entry.
Combining Material Science with Biotechnology
PHAXTEC® produces natural material solutions with PHA to serve Food Service Packaging, Agriculture and Personal Care markets.
Using Renewable Carbon
Circular and natural material solutions that are recyclable and compostable, and no harm to the environment if leaked.
Deploying Proprietary and Commercial Technologies
PHAXTEC® is working with technology partners and market participants to accelerate market entry.
The PHAXTEC® Way
PHAXTEC® has licensed commercially proven and proprietary technologies where possible and is developing proprietary and unique technologies where necessary. This ensures competitive advantages while reducing time to market, development and commercialization risks. PHAXTEC® is partnering with OEMs in its target markets and is continually exploring additional partnerships. This allows reduced market entry risks and shorter timelines.
Talk to us about partnerships in Packaging, Agriculture and Personal Care.
Reduce plastic pollution and GHG – with PHA
PHA not only are a fully natural and biodegradable replacement for plastics, the PHAXTEC® PHA production process takes it one step further. We use renewable methane (also known as Biogas), which is abundantly available, constituting 20% of all anthropogenic greenhouse gases. It is 25x more potent than CO2, therefore reducing methane emissions has a larger positive effect on global temperature rise.
We are working with CROs and contract manufacturers, which reduces infrastructure costs and further shortens development timelines.
Understand the 100% natural beauty of PHA
PHA or Polyhydroxyalkanoates are natural materials that are bio-synthesized by numerous bacteria in all-natural fermentation processes, who use it to store energy. PHA are completely biodegradable in soil, freshwater and marine environments just like cellulose or paper.
Built-in zero waste solutions
Better than all the rest
PHA feature biodegradability comparable to Cellulose and are significantly better than biopolymers (or ‘bioplastics’) such as Poly Lactic Acid (PLA), Poly Butylene Succinate (PBS), and (fossil based) Poly Butylene Adipate Terephthalate (PBAT).
PHA also stand out when it comes to versatility in use, where it is compares well with fossil plastics like, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polystyrene, ABS and others, that are primary contributors to the global plastics pollution problem.
The graph exhibits the Biodegradability characteristics of PHA, cellulose, PBSe & LDPE at 23° C in soil. PHA and cellulose show similar biodegradability in soil, fresh water and marine environment.
Fibres and Fabrics
Endless possibilities now and in the future
PHA products offer numerous application possibilities and tremendous potential estimated at greater than 50% in total plastics sales.
PHAXTEC® has focused initially on applications where in addition to eliminating plastics and microplastics pollution, we are helping reduce major environmental issues, such as:
- Enabling recycling and / or composting of paper (cellulose) from discarded or used Food Service Packaging and Personal Care items;
- Enabling advanced cellulose-based products to replace traditional plastics packaging.
- Reducing environmental damage like algae bloom, river-delta dead-zones and damage to soil and waterways caused by over-fertilization of crops in Agriculture.
- Reducing anthropogenic methane emission, a Green House Gas that is 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
Solving environmental issues through replacing plastics with natural and biodegradable PHA not only benefits the environment, it also benefits companies and end users along the entire value chain, creates new jobs, and provides healthy returns for investors.
Meet the PHAXTEC® team
Proven track record
The PHAXTEC® team consists of a mix of young and motivated entrepreneurs and seasoned industry veterans all of whom are committed to delivering on PHAXTEC®’s mission to introducing environmentally safe and natural material solutions.
MBA, MS (Poly. Sc.), BS (Chem. E.), CEO and Founder
- i2i Management Consulting Practice
- Co-founder GO!PHA
- 15 years in Biotech & PHA, 30 years in plastics
- 6 start-ups and 3 M&As (MD, EVP, GM)
PhD, Paper, Coatings
- R&D Technology Manager
- New applications, markets developer
- Polymer, specialty chemicals and coatings application developer
- 26+ years in paper and packaging
MS, Business Development
- Management consultant, product design, material innovation and commercialization practice
- Co-founder GO!PHA
- 8 years in industrial and product design
- Special envoy at Holland Circular Hotspot
MBA, Marketing Communications
- 15+ B2B Marketing and communications
- Experience at and with multinationals
- Start-up experience
The PHAXTEC® advisory board
- Former Business Group Director & VP Open Innovation, DSM
- Led a corporate “incubator”
- 35 years fostering innovation
- Founder and CEO FRX Polymers
- Former Business Group Director, Cabot Corp.
- Former President & CEO, DSM Thermoplastics Elastomers
Charles P. Klass
- 60+ years in pulp & paper, paper coatings and paper recycling
- Former VP, GM, Dir. of Sales at 4 pulp & paper companies
- Adjunct Professor; Technical, Business & Management Consultant, holds 9 patents
Would you like to join us?
PHAXTEC® continues to look for individuals who can help us in our journey to rid the world of the plastic pollution and solve the climate challenges of today.
If you are an expert in Biotechnology, PHA, Plastics, polymer chemistry, packaging, coatings and related fields we would love to hear from you on how we can, together, make the world a better place!